Welcome to Apologetics Thursdays. Often in today’s world people who believe in God and the Bible are seen as unintelligent or backwards. Personally, I think that this is due to certain popular writers who seem to have it out for religion. Such as, the late Christopher Hitchens.
“Faith is the surrender of the mind; it’s the surrender of reason, it’s the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals.”Christopher Hitchens.
As you can probably imagine I disagree with the idea. So the question stands, does being a Christian make you backwards or unintelligent?
Well, in order to answer this, we’re going to look at what seven certified smart people had to say about religion and the Bible. I hope you enjoy the post today.
1. “The best data we have are exactly what I would have predicted had I nothing to go on but the five books of Moses, the Psalms, the Bible as a whole, in that the universe appears to have order and purpose.”Arno Penzias, American physicist and Nobel Laureate for the discovery of the cosmic background radiation which substantiated Big Bang theory.
2. “I am a scientist and a believer, and I find no conflict between those world views. …and neither apparently do the 40 percent of working scientists who claim to be believers [in a personal God].”Francis Collins, leader of the Human Genome Project, director of the National Human Genome Research Institute
3. “As the depth of our insight into the wonderful works of God increases, the stronger are our feelings of awe and veneration in contemplating them and in endeavoring to approach their Author…So will he [the earnest student] by his studies and successive acquirements be led through nature up to nature’s God.”William Lord Kelvin, inventor of the Kelvin temperature scale
4. “The laws of [physics]…seem themselves to be the product of exceedingly ingenious design…[there] is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all…It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature’s numbers to make the Universe…The impression of design is overwhelming.”Paul Davies, contributed to the work on black hole
5. “To find the metaphysical beliefs…governing scientific research…it would have been enough to speak of one belief, the belief in a personal rational Creator. It was this belief, as cultivated especially within a Christian matrix, which supported the [scientific] view for which the world was an objective and orderly entity investigable by the mind because the mind too was an orderly and objective product of the same rational, that is, perfectly consistent Creator.”Dr. Stanley Jaki, Templeton Prize winner, Professor of physics at Seton Hall University
6. “What we know is a drop, what we do not know is a vast ocean. The admirable arrangement and harmony of the universe could only have come from the plan of an omniscient and omnipotent Being.”Isaac Newton, founder of classical physics
7. “As a religious man, I feel the presence and intervention of a Creator beyond myself, but who is always nearby… intelligence had something to do with the creation of the laws of the universe.”Charles Townes, shared the 1964 Nobel Prize for discovering the principles of the laser
Having faith doesn’t mean that you have surrendered your mind. A person only surrenders their mind when they stop using it. So don’t stop using it. Follow in the footsteps of the great men and women who asked questions, searched for answers, and found God.
I hope you enjoyed today’s post. I always find these quotes inspiring.
Like always leave a like and follow above.